Tuesday 20 April 2010

5th Artefact - How fast can someone learn the software 3DS Max to create an interior environement?

Since the breakthrough of 3D the design industry has opened up doors for people with no drawing or techinical skill. People with a hunger for design can now become 3D artists which involves creating designs onto computer instead of paper. But can anyone become a 3D artist?

Over the easter holiday I wanted to put this theory to the test. I asked my Mum who has no 3D experience whatsoever to create an interior environment using 3DS Max without any supervision.
I will only train her for one day of the basic tools of modelling, texturing and lighting. I also wrote down a lsit of all the modelling tools along with their functions and basic tutorial of how to texture such as UVW mapping, and using bitmaps from the internet. This is how she got on.

I told her during the training that using splines to create any shape is the best way. This is her shape of her room.



Also I told her to convert the spline into a shape she needs to convert it into an editable poly where she can modify the shape.



Then with the guide that I gave her she managed to create good enough furniture to go with the room and she textured it well enough.



Finall the lighting, I told her during the training that to use a simple omni light with shadows.



To conclude my Mum has successfully created a living room without any supervision or any previous 3D experience in a day. So if my Mum can create this in a day imagine what she could with a month of training.

EVALUATION FOR 5th ARTEFACT

We have learnt that having CGI skills is a useful asset to have within the interior design industry. But can anyone become a 3D artist through training? And how much training does the person need? Over the Easter holiday I wanted to put this theory to the test. I asked my Mum who has no 3D experience whatsoever to create an interior environment using 3DS Max without any supervision. I will only train her for one day of the basic tools of modelling, texturing and lighting. I also wrote down a list of all the modelling tools along with their functions and basic tutorial of how to texture such as UVW mapping, and using bitmaps from the internet. In a day she managed to create a living room, fully textured with lights and shadows. The model was very basic such as the modelling was just pre-set shapes and the textures used were just copied on to the object without any editing. However my Mum without any 3D skill experience still produced a living room in one day with one day training.
This tells me that with the right training people can learn the basics of using CGI but with the right training, determination and passion for CGI that person can grow to become a professional 3D artist. For example that person is me as I have grown to know nothing about 3D to being able to create realistic and creative environments and with more training and learning and my hunger and passion to learn more I could only improve in my abilities.

No comments: